Thursday, September 9, 2010

How was my day, you ask?

Well, where do I begin!

It all started good. My friends had a couch that they wanted to get rid of, and I've been wanting to get a new one for the lounge in the studio for quite some time so I figured it was a great opportunity! Of course, I'd need a trailer to pick it up. No problem: my parents recently told me that they'd bought a trailer together with some of our relatives, so I decided to use that one, naturally.

Went to my brother's house to pick it up but...it wasn't there. Managed to track it to my uncle, who in turn had handed it over to my cousin, and she was using it at the moment. Well well, not much I could do about that, so I just drove to the nearest gas station to rent one. I don't know why I never went for that option before because it only cost me around 14 euros!

So I hooked on the trailer and headed over to the studio to get some assistance from the band I'm currently working with (a Scottish group called UKTENA) who graciously helped me drag the old messed up couch that was defiling the space at the moment. The drummer joined me to the dump. No problems there and we left, sans disgusting old fart sofa, and headed into town to pick up the other one.

I was lucky enough to get a parking spot right outside the building, and after some struggle getting the big lump down four flights of stairs, it was loaded onto the trailer and we headed back to the studio.

Here is where things start to spin out of control... I was driving my parents' car since my sack of shit is basically beyond repair (or I simply stopped caring). It's not exactly new, but it's a pretty decent car nevertheless. Except for today.

BAM! The car comes to a screeching halt. In the middle of traffic. In the middle of town. In the left fucking lane. My first though: oh great, the trailer must have come off. A quick look in the rear view mirror revealed something else: smoke coming from the right rear tire. I went out to see what the hell just happened. Checked the trailer and the connection, no problems there. Went back in the car, tried to move but it was clear that the right rear tire was stuck. REALLY stuck. I tried to pump the breaks. Nothing. The hand break. Nothing.

Cars started piling up behind us, apparently clueless to the fact that I wasn't moving and that I had the warning lights on. Well, that's their problem...

As luck would have it, my parents are smart enough to have an additional insurance that includes towing , so I called the company and I have to say, from here on I couldn't be happier with how things progressed. The towing car showed up in less than 10 minutes. We had to get rid of the trailer though so we rolled it away and managed to get a parking spot. Went together with the towing car to the repair shop, they took it in immediately and the towing guy made some calls and arranged with a car to borrow while my parents' one is in the shop. This insurance came in pretty damn handy!

Went over to Europcar and picked up a nice Volvo, then headed over to where the trailer was and picked it up. Onward to the studio, unloaded the couch and headed straight over to the gas station to return the trailer. 2 hours late so I had to pay an additional charge of 10 euros. But come on... This could have been a lot worse!

I was back in the studio around 4PM to go on with the tracking. But what the hell...I got a free couch, right!? Got a call from the repair shop later as well, the car will be ready to pick up tomorrow. Of course now I'd rather keep the Volvo. But you can't have everything. ;)

HUGE thanks go out to FALCK for doing an amazing job in helping me sort all this crap out! Many thanks (and apologies) to UKTENA as well for putting up with all this shit.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. hey Tore!
    nice to see you still post on this blog.
    you should post more...especialy some studio diaries would be really appreciated
    cheerz!

    ReplyDelete